Monday, September 13, 2010

Sept. 9, 2010

I know that I am writing a little late, but I was just so frustrated on Thursday that I didn't want to write. Things went a little less smoothly than last week, but I'm glad because there are many lessons that I learned. One of my patients was coming back for me to clean the other half of his mouth. He told me that he had never hurt so bad before. He had hurts for weeks after. I felt so bad. Prof. Alexander told me to make him own it. I should've said, "that is good, that means I did my job and that healing is now able to take place." I learned that to hurt for a while is normal and that I need to suggest advil and a warm salt solution rinse. If I make it sound like it is going to be worse, they will love me when it isn't that bad. I also learned that I need to be conscience of what I am saying around my patient. Instead of saying, "I haven't used this instrument as much" I need to say, "can you help me with the angles on this instrument." I have to act like I know what I am doing even if I don't. I have to be confident. I also need to remember that I am still just a student. I can't expect myself to be perfect, especially when I just came back from a long summer break. Bottom line, I need to have confidence. I should be proud of myself. Thursday I had really hard patients, and I finished them in one appointment. I am improving of my instrumentation and I really feel like I know what I am doing now. I'm going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment